Rutgers DMR Basil
Winter 2018: Rutgers downy mildew resistant (DMR) basil seeds are now being sold by VDF Specialty Seeds for commercial basil growers. Following this commercial release, three new DMR basil varieties will be on the market for consumers and home gardeners.
VDF Specialty Seeds is selling three new downy mildew resistant basil varieties:
- Rutgers Obsession DMR: Sweet basil for field and potted plant production; vigorous growth, high leaf-to-stem ratio, dark green color, highly resistant to fusarium wilt.
- Rutgers Devotion DMR: Genovese-type basil for potted plant production and fresh market; uniform, upright growth and dome or cup-shaped leaf.
- Rutgers Thunderstruck DMR: Sweet basil primarily for field production; medium-sized, slightly ruffled leaf with bright green color.
Downy mildew is a common plant disease found in basil that occurs under humid conditions, caused by rain or dew, and can render basil visually unappealing and unsellable. New varieties are naturally bred to be resistant to basil downy mildew and are creating more opportunities for farmers. Herb growers and gardeners are excited to try this new fresh basil.
VDF Specialty Seeds was born out of collaboration between Rutgers University and Van Drunen Farms, recognizing the need to commercialize varieties with tolerance to basil downy mildew.
We’re dedicated to finding agricultural and food ingredient solutions to feed the world in a sustainable, ethical and healthy way.
- Commercial growers can buy these three new varieties of sweet basil seeds in bulk from VDF Specialty Seeds, starting Winter 2018.
- Home gardeners will be able to buy seeds once the distribution line is established, estimated release date is 2019.
Pyne R, Honig J, Vaiciunas J, Koroch A, Wyenandt C, Bonos S, et al. (2017) A first linkage map and downy mildew resistance QTL discovery for sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) facilitated by double digestion restriction site associated DNA sequencing (ddRADseq). PLoS ONE 12(9): e0184319. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0184319