A Core Facility has been established in Foran Hall on the George H. Cook Campus that will enable our students and faculty and outside users to have access to instrumentation whose purchase and maintenance costs would be cost prohibitive for any one investigator.
The instrumentation offered at the Core Facility is grouped according to applications and include Bio-imaging, Bio-sensing, Flow cytometry, Real-time PCR, and High throughput screening.
- Within the Bio-imaging application we feature the Zeiss LSM 710 confocal microscope with seven lasers and an environmental chamber with CO2 and temperature control ranging from 4°C to 45°C. The Zeiss LSM 710 is housed in a separate microscopy suite. In addition, epifluorescent microscopy using an Olympus FSX100 microscope capable of imaging a wide variety of dyes is also available.
- Our Bio-molecular interaction analysis instrumentation includes the Biacore T200, which utilizes surface plasmon resonance (SPR) technology allowing for label-free detection of macromolecular interactions and software enabling affinity and kinetic analysis. In addition, we have recently acquired the Biacore 8K+ instrument that is suitable for screening small molecule/fragment libraries and for characterization of antibodies or antibody fragments. Please contact us for more information.
- Flow cytometry is made easy with the recent purchase of the user-friendly Accuri C6 Flow Cytometer that uses two lasers, two scatter and four fluorescence detectors.
- Our real-time PCR instrumentation is the StepOnePlus, from Thermo Fisher (Applied Biosystems), the leader in real-time PCR. Our experienced staff can provide support in experimental and primer/probe design along with troubleshooting input.
- High-throughput screening applications are made possible with a Singer RoToR pinning robot that can dispense to and from solid or liquid media in 96- and 384-well formats with a throughput of up to 100 plates per hour.
- Short courses on Biacore applications and real-time PCR are offered. These are hands-on courses where participants receive personal training on the instruments. Please contact us for more information.
This facility offers exceptional opportunities for research and training, and provides our students and staff with leading edge technology and state-of-the-art instrumentation for their research needs.