A Core Facility has been established in Foran Hall on the George H. Cook Campus that will enable our students and faculty and outside users to have access to instrumentation whose purchase and maintenance costs would be cost prohibitive for any one investigator.
The instrumentation offered at the Core Facility is grouped according to applications and include Bio-imaging, Bio-sensing, Flow cytometry, Real-time PCR, and High throughput screening.
- Within the Bio-imaging application we offer a recently acquired Zeiss LSM 710 confocal microscope with seven lasers, and environmental chamber with CO2 and temperature control with a range from 4°C to 45°C. The Zeiss LSM 710 is housed in a separate microscopy suite. In addition epifluorescent microscopy using Olympus microscopes capable of imaging a wide variety of dyes is available. We are excited to announce the new addition of Typhoon FLA 9500 Biomolecular Imager for detection of fluorescence and radioactive labels and 2-D DIGE imaging for differential expression studies.
- Our Bio-molecular interaction analysis instrumentation includes two Biacore instruments, Biacore T200 and Biacore 8K+, which utilize surface plasmon resonance technology allowing for label-free detection of macromolecular interactions.
- Flow cytometry is made easy with the recent purchase of the user-friendly Accuri C6 Flow Cytometer that uses two lasers, two scatter and four fluorescence detectors.
- Our real-time PCR instrumentation, StepOnePlus, comes from Applied Biosystems, the leader in real-time PCR. Our experienced staff can provide support in experimental design.
- High-throughput screening applications are made possible with a Singer RoToR pinning robot that can dispense to and from solid or liquid media in 96- and 384-well formats with a throughput of up to 100 plates per hour and a BioTek Synergy™ 4 microplate reader for fluorescence Intensity, fluorescence polarization, time-resolved fluorescence, luminescence and uv-visible absorbance measurements.
- Short courses on Biacore applications and real-time PCR are offered. These are hands-on courses where participants receive personal training on the instruments. Please contact us for more information
This facility offers exceptional opportunities for research and training, and provides our students and staff with leading edge technology and state-of-the-art instrumentation for their research needs.